Website YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford
General Manager – Burlington Child Care
Salary Range: Level 3 ($63,000 – $117,375)
Position Status: Full-Time
Placement: October 2021
As one of the largest charitable community service organizations in Canada, the YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford responds to critical social needs in the community and works to provide solutions. By nurturing the potential of children, youth and adults, the YMCA connects people to life-building opportunities, to each other and enhances their quality of life. We foster social responsibility and healthy living. The YMCA works collectively with community partners that share the YMCA’s determination in strengthening the foundations of community for all people.
This position requires a commitment to the YMCA mission and core values of: Belonging, Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility, as well as, a commitment to building developmental assets in children and adults. All offers of employment will be subject to the provision that the successful incumbent provides the YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford with a current and satisfactory Police Records Check. Positions responsible for the direct supervision of children and/or vulnerable persons will be required, in addition to a Police Records Check, to provide a Vulnerable Sector Screening Report at the time of hire.
Why Work for the YMCA?
As a charitable organization, the YMCA values the contributions of its diverse teams. We recognize the importance of providing meaningful opportunities that allow employees to grow and thrive. At the YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford, in addition to fair wages, we offer a complimentary general membership with additional options for family participation. A comprehensive benefits program is also available to employees including a competitive and robust pension program. YMCA Employees enjoy a generous vacation entitlement that increases with seniority, as well as other paid entitlements. All employees have access to an Employee Assistance Program which provides confidential counseling and referral services as well as preventative education. Additionally, the YMCA understands the holistic needs of its employees is equally important and attempts to support these goals by offering a variety of staff discounts on the programs and services that support good health and strong families. We look forward to welcoming you to the YMCA.
Nature & Scope:
Reporting directly to the Senior Regional Manager of Child Care/Community Outreach/Day Camps, the General Manager provides overall leadership to Burlington Licensed Child Care and is responsible for the operations and strategic development of these programs including the recruitment and hiring of staff, budget development, program design, implementation, and evaluation. The General Manager is part of the child care leadership team.
- Provides overall branch leadership; responsible for the development/implementation of operational plans;
- Responsible for keeping up to date on legislative changes pertaining to licensed child care – federal, provincial and municipal;
- Responsible for report writing, and preparing funding applications for capital and operational funds;
- Accountable for achieving operational goals through financial management of the branch including both operational and capital budgets;
- Accountable for the development and implementation of tactical plans for the branch including: budgets, staff and volunteers, quality assurance, asset management, positioning, Member Engagement and Philanthropy;
- Provides direct supervision to 5 Burlington Child Care Managers and accountable for supervision of 6 Full Day Child Care Managers, and of 200 educators; and
- Guides the team through change, researches and implements strategies to ensure best practices in child care are implemented;
- Develops a strategy to ensure programs are current in furnishings, maintenance and aesthetics;
- Responds to participant, employer, and parent complaints or behaviour, turning negative situation in to positive situations;
- Extensive travel between sites is required and is required to attend meetings in various regions.
- 4 year post secondary education in business and/or social services or related field;
- Knowledge of research and best practices pertaining to child development as well as familiarity with the
- Child Care and Early Years Act and all legislation pertaining to the delivery of licensed child care;
- Business management skills and accounting knowledge;
- Excellent leadership and coaching skills to influence and motivate others;
- At least five years experience in program administration, management, and staff supervision;
- Ability to plan, organize and prioritize work to deal with multiple demands and deadlines;
- Proficient with Microsoft applications, email and internet applications;
- Experience in developing and delivery community programs by assessing and collaborating with other community services;
- Requires reliable transportation to travel between branches/child care centres; flexibility to work evenings and weekends as required;
- Current police records check with vulnerable sector search.
- Coaching and Development – Commits to assisting participants, volunteers, staff and self in continuous learning and development.
- Leadership – Guides, motivates and inspires self and others to take action to achieve desired outcomes.
- Creativity and Innovation – Develops new ways or adapts existing ideas to help us achieve desired results.
- Quality Focus – Ensures that YMCA programs and services are superior.
- Sense of Community – Demonstrates an awareness and understanding of community and responds to identified needs.
- Tolerance for Ambiguity – Functions effectively in situations of less than perfect or incomplete information.
- Managing Change – Initiates and manages change to achieve the strategic outcomes of the YMCA.
- Relationship Building and Collaboration – Builds positive interactions both internally and externally to achieve work related goals.
The YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford is committed to creating an inclusive environment that accommodates all individuals, including those with disabilities. We support the goals of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Acts (AODA) and have established policies, procedures and practices which adhere to the accessibility standards set out in the AODA. Should you require any accommodation throughout the recruitment process please do not hesitate contacting our Human Resources Department.
The YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford is an equal opportunity employer.
The YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford encourages employees within the Association, as well as those employed within the Canadian YMCA/YMCA-YWCA Federation to submit their application.
Please note that in so doing, the YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford reserves the right to contact the applicable YMCA or YMCA-YWCA for purposes of seeking an employment reference throughout the recruitment process.
Please ensure that prior to submitting your application that you have disclosed to your current supervisor, your intention to submit your application. By submitting your application, you understand and agree to allow the YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford to contact your current Association.
If you are interested in this position, please submit your letter of application and resume, along with salary expectations by September 2, 2021 attention:
Human Resources Business Partner
We thank all applicants, however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to Hbb.firstname.lastname@example.org